Creating Complex Solutions For Complex Estates
Sophisticated estate plans go far beyond the basic documents. Wills, trusts, power of attorneys, advance health care directives and HIPAA authorization forms are all still present and important to the overall plan, but the “magic” of overall effectiveness comes from how these and other documents work together as a cohesive unit. Multiple trusts, dynastic trusts and gifting are all part of sophisticated approaches.
At The Law Offices of Richard A. Lewis, in Sacramento, California, we understand that an estate planning solution should be as unique and sophisticated as the estate itself. That’s why we will work closely with you to determine your specific needs and goals, and recommend the solutions that will satisfy them. Our goal is to provide you with the necessary information and guidance to make conscious, informed decisions about your estate plan.
Adding Flexibility To Your Estate Plan
In higher value estates, or estates with complex family dynamics, flexibility is essential to a complex estate plan. Trusts, advance health care directives and other documents should address your initial design. When life changes or your wishes change, the documents should be written with the flexibility to allow for the correct direction of your estate. Your wishes change as you age or your circumstances change. Examples of this flexibility include:
- Complex trusts can be designed to change the trustee or successor trustee depending on the situation; this also allows the grantor to change the manner, time or beneficiary without incurring another $10,000.00.
- Different people can be appointed with the power of attorney to provide for different circumstances.
- Qualified terminable interest property (QTIP) trust provisions can be added to provide for second marriages or other complex family changes.
- Charitable remainder trusts can be created to provide tax credits now, while helping the intended beneficiary over time.
- Advance health care directives can be amended to include do not resuscitate (DNR) provisions when life circumstances warrant it.
At our firm, we are prepared to offer complex solutions for complex estates like yours. To speak to Mr. Lewis about your specific legacy, your specific situation, call.